Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Word of the Day: Juxtaposition


Juxtaposition (jək-stə-pə-ˈzi-shən) n.  1. A placing close together or side by side, especially for comparison or contrast.  2. The situation of being close together or side by side.

Am I the only person who sees or hears the word juxtaposition and immediately starts singing . . .

"Joxer the Mighty
Roams through the countryside
He never needs a place to hide
With Gabby as his sidekick
Fighting with her little stick
Righting wrongs and singing songs
Being mighty all day long
He's Joxer—he's Joxer the Mighty!"

. . . inside my head?



It's always been a funny little word for me. Juxta --- position. JUXta --- position. JuxTA --- position. Hmmm.

In a sentence:
 ~ The juxtaposition of the basketball player next to the jockey was comical, the difference in their sizes more obvious than ever.

How would you use juxtaposition in a sentence?

2 comments :

  1. Ooo. I love using this word. I used to watch Xena everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, me too! Xena was a staple in my house, haha.

      Delete

Many thanks for your words! All comments are appreciated.